Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Fro-yo and Fedoras... a report on San Francisco living

Good morning! its been a whirlwind of a month for me. From New York to San Francisco, I've seen it all. I just got back from a wonderful trip out west last night and am feeling like I had one too many frozen yogurts, way too many glasses of wine, am sun burnt and exhausted and am not entirely sure what time it is. But it was all worth it to get to live the life of a easy breezy west coaster for a few days.

Really... before this trip I had this stereotype in my head that San Franciscians (and all Californians) were vegan pilates instructors. Not true. They're eating frozen yogurt topped with whole brownies. Huge quantities of it. The east coast still has a very conservative, old school method of dolling out fro-yo. Small, medium or large are our only options as far as I can tell. But out west, they've become much more liberal about their portion sizes. They give you what would probably be considered an extra large cup by east coast standards and let you crank out your own yogurt - as much as you could possibly want and then weigh the cup to decide your fee. It was positively empowering.

But as this is not a blog about fro-y0 (although I probably should think about starting one), I will return to the main issue. The heart of San Francisco style seems to me to be the fedora. I mean yes, fedoras are everywhere right now but no one is owning it quite as legitimately as the San Franites. I must have tried on 60 fedoras over the course of the last five days but none looked quite right. I really looked more like kid rock than a cool hipster no matter what shape or size I tried. I guess you just have to live there to really understand how this lid works. I definitely have not mastered wearing it, so for now I'm working on drawing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment